The Minnesota RollerGirls hold open tryouts once a year in the spring. This year's tryouts will take place on Saturday, May 28 from 8:00am to 2:00pm at the Saint Paul RiverCentre complex. Get on the Minnesota RollerGirls recruits message board to the most up to date information. On this message board, you'll get information from current league members on training tips, gear selection and maintenance, and ideas for preparing for tryouts. You'll also be able to connect with other recruits, plan outings and events with each other, and get timely information about clinics and tryouts.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the recruits message board or for more information on tryouts.
January through April, the Minnesota RollerGirls host tryout preparatory clinics. At these clinics you'll learn off- and on-skate drills and activities that will help your body prepare for tryouts, build the necessary strength to be safe and stable on your skates, and help you build the endurance you'll need for tryouts.
The clinics are completely optional; attending a clinic is not a necessary step for trying out. But if you're a bit rusty on your skates, want to have an edge at tryouts, or just want to see what it's like to attend a practice, the clinics are a good option. Attendance is capped at 35-45 participants for each clinic.
Requirements/What to Bring:
- You must sign up for the Minnesota RollerGirls recruits message board and register for each clinic in advance. Contact email@example.com to get signed up.
- You must have personal insurance and bring a copy of your insurance card for our files (first clinic only).
- You must be 21 to be eligible to try out and bring a copy of your ID for our files (first clinic only).
- Must sign waivers/paperwork available here.
- Must have quad skates and all safety gear (helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, mouth guard), no exceptions.
- Tennis shoes for dryland workout.
- Half an hour of on- or off-skate strength and agility training.
- One hour of on-skate drills and endurance skating.
- Half an hour of cooldown, core, and stretching.
- Sometimes you'll be able to stay and go to the balcony to observe league practice for half an hour.
TRANSFERSThe Minnesota RollerGirls welcome skaters from other leagues provided that they meet a few conditions. This is a distilled version of our full transfer skater policy; for full details, please fill out our Transfer Inquiry Form.
During the Minnesota RollerGirls active season, transfer skaters may apply for transfer at any time and, if she meets the requirements listed below, may be voted onto the league at any time. The exception is if the transfer is requested between one month prior to our last home bout and the tryout date (both of which change each year). In this case, it will be up to the Department of Training to determine if the transfer skater should be required to attend tryouts, bootcamp, and/or be included in the annual draft.
- Letter of recommendation from captain, head ref, or coach that exhibits good standing with their previous league.
- Letter of recommendation from your Board of Directors or Human Resources committees (or equivalents).
- Must have been an active member of a league (need not be a WFTDA league) within the last 6 months for at least 6 months.
- Must resign from their former league before being considered for transfer.
- Must pass the WFTDA skills test and rules test.
- Can only be admitted to the league if there are openings on team rosters as defined by captain discretion.
- Must meet practice requirements for four weeks prior to the first bout once drafted to a team.
- Must skate a trial period of eight practices over three months (at least once with each home team).
- The league must officially vote in the transfer skater.
If you'll be traveling to Minnesota and would like to skate with us on a regular practice night as a visiting skater, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. We welcome skaters from around the country on a regular basis, and we'll just have a little paperwork for you to fill out upon your arrival. Please note that our regular practice schedule is Tuesday/Thursday from 7:30-9:30pm and Sunday 6:00-8:00pm. If we are holding a league meeting during part of practice, we'll ask you to step out while we conduct our league's business.
The Minnesota RollerGirls have a training program called the Debu-Taunts. Whether you're looking for a recreational way of learning the sport or a serious training challenge, the Debu-Taunts have something for you. There is no minimum skill requirement to join, just a positive attitude and willingness to learn! Learn More